Vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies

april 30, 2016


Sooo ... I'm back to my English site after a long long time. My writing is a bit rusty, but I hope you will forgive me and help me polish it - any grammar enthusiast around? I've been wanting to tell you about these vegan gluten free cookies for ages! I first found a recipe for a buckwheat cookie on a blog I really like, Food Loves Writing. While I like all ideas Shanna and her husband come up with (like their great book all about the amazing grain called Einkorn), these cookies stole my heart right away. I had too try them immediately! With a slight adaptation - I made them vegan. And they were a huge succes! I even included them in my cookbook (wich is written in slovene, in case you're curious;)).

So, what are they like? Soft, crumbly, but not too much. The combination of buckwheat and bananas is just heavenly in my opinion - and chocolate makes it even more irresistible. I first made these vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies for a friend with celiac disease, but they are free from any weird additives you usually find in gluten free cookies, and are easy too make with what you have on hand. Well, maybe you don't have chia seeds in your pantry, in wich case you can substitute with just flaxseed. My husband is not very fond of chia seeds, but he loved these cookies: "I like them because they are tender and chocolatey, not because they have chia seeds in them!" 

So, let's get down to baking, shall we?



Vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies

1 tsp ground flaxseed
1 tsp ground chia seeds
2 tbsp soy or other plant milk
1 ripe banana

1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/2 tsp powdered  vanilla or vanilla extract
50 g chopped dark chocolate (about 2 ounce)

In a small bowl, puree the banana with a fork, add ground chia and flaxseed and mix well. Set aside. 

In a  medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients except chocolate, then add melted coconut oil and the banana-seed mixture. Mix just enough to incorporate, then add the chopped chocolate. 

Put in the fridge for about half an hour.

Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F). Prepare a cookie sheet and line it with parchment paper.

Shape the vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookie dough into balls, flatten a bit between your palms and put them on the cookie sheet so that they will enough space around them, because they tend to expand quite a bit.

Bake for 10 minutes. The cookies will be quite soft but don't panic! Let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes or so, then transfer them on a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.  





You Might Also Like

0 komentarji

Preberi tudi

Subscribe